Tragedy in San Diego: Security Guard Amin Abdullah Identified as Victim in Deadly Islamic Center Shooting
SAN DIEGO, Calif. — A quiet Tuesday afternoon at a place of peace turned into a scene of unspeakable violence. Authorities have identified the first of three victims killed in a targeted attack at the Islamic Center of San Diego as Amin Abdullah, a beloved security guard who died trying to protect worshippers. The incident, which is being investigated as a potential hate crime, has left five people dead, including two teenage suspects, and has sent shockwaves through the religious and civic communities of Southern California.
According to the San Diego Police Department, the shooting unfolded at approximately 11:45 a.m. on May 18 at the Islamic Center of San Diego, located at 7050 Eckstrom Avenue, near the intersection of Balboa Avenue and Interstate 805. What began as a routine day of prayers and community activities quickly devolved into an active shooter crisis that required a multi-agency response involving local police, the FBI, and federal investigators.
The Victims: A Community Mourns Amin Abdullah
The first victim to be officially identified is Amin Abdullah, who was working his usual shift as a private security guard at the mosque. Friends and family described Abdullah, a father of three and a former Marine, as a gentle giant who took his protective role seriously. “He knew the risks. He would say, ‘If someone wants to harm my community, they have to go through me first,’” said Omar Hassan, a longtime friend and fellow worshipper at the mosque. “Yesterday, they went through him. He didn’t run. He stood his ground.”
Abdullah, 48, had been providing security at the Islamic Center for nearly six years. He was known for greeting every child who entered the school with a fist bump and for walking elderly members to their cars after evening prayers. His wife, Fatima Abdullah, told reporters through tears that her husband had texted her just twenty minutes before the shooting. “He said, ‘It’s a beautiful day. Tell the kids I love them.’ That was it. That was the last I heard from him.”
The identities of the other two adult male victims have not yet been publicly released as authorities continue notifying next of kin. However, sources within the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office indicate that the other victims were a 35-year-old teacher at the Islamic center’s weekend school and a 62-year-old retiree who was in the main prayer hall at the time of the attack. All three were pronounced dead at the scene despite rapid response from emergency medical teams.
The Suspects: 17 and 19 Years Old
Police Chief Scott Wahl confirmed during an evening press conference that the two suspects, ages 17 and 19, are also deceased. Their names have not been released due to their ages and pending family notifications. However, law enforcement sources indicate that the 19-year-old was the primary shooter, while the 17-year-old acted as an accomplice and driver.
“We are not releasing their identities at this time as we work to understand their backgrounds, potential radicalization, and any connections to extremist ideologies,” Chief Wahl said. “What we can tell you is that both suspects died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds several blocks away from the mosque.”
According to the San Diego Police Department’s preliminary timeline, the suspects fled the Islamic Center immediately after the shooting. While driving away, they fired additional shots in a nearby neighborhood on the 7300 block of Salerno Street. A landscaper working in a front yard was reportedly targeted during this secondary shooting but was not struck by gunfire. The landscaper, who asked not to be identified out of fear for his safety, told investigators that the suspects yelled a slur before firing two rounds in his direction.
Police later located the suspects’ vehicle — a stolen gray Honda Civic — abandoned near the 2100 block of Hatton Street, approximately one mile from the mosque. Both suspects were found deceased inside a detached garage on that block from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Chief Wahl stated that ballistic evidence suggests the 19-year-old shot the 17-year-old before turning the weapon on himself, though the official coroner’s report is pending.
The Attack: What Happened Inside the Islamic Center
Surveillance footage obtained from the Islamic Center of San Diego shows the two suspects approaching the main entrance of the mosque at 11:47 a.m. Both were wearing dark clothing and tactical vests, though the vests contained no ballistic plates. The 19-year-old suspect was armed with an AR-15 style rifle, while the 17-year-old carried a 9mm handgun.
As the suspects attempted to force their way through the main glass doors, Amin Abdullah confronted them. The footage shows Abdullah pushing the 17-year-old suspect backward and attempting to lock the secondary door. The 19-year-old suspect then opened fire through the glass, striking Abdullah multiple times in the chest and abdomen. Despite his wounds, Abdullah managed to trigger a silent alarm before collapsing.
The suspects then entered the building. At that moment, approximately 30 worshippers were inside — 15 adults in the main prayer hall and 15 children in an adjacent classroom for the center’s midday school program. Teachers immediately initiated lockdown protocols, barricading classroom doors and moving children into a storage room without windows.
The 19-year-old suspect fired indiscriminately into the prayer hall, striking the two other adult victims. He then attempted to break down the door to the children’s classroom but was unable to do so after teachers had wedged furniture against it. Investigators believe the suspects fled the scene approximately four minutes after entering the building, possibly because they heard approaching sirens or because their weapons jammed.
No children were harmed during the shooting, a fact that San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria called “a miracle and a testament to the bravery of the teachers and staff.”
Law Enforcement Response and Investigation
Police received the first 911 call at 11:48 a.m. from a teacher inside the classroom whispering that “a man with a gun is shooting people.” Officers from the San Diego Police Department’s Eastern Division arrived at 11:53 a.m. — a response time of just five minutes.
“Our officers entered the building without hesitation,” Chief Wahl said. “They didn’t know if the shooters were still inside. They didn’t know if there were explosives. They went in because that’s what we do.”
The FBI has joined the investigation, with FBI Special Agent in Charge Mark Remily leading the federal component. During a joint press conference with Chief Wahl and Mayor Gloria, Agent Remily stated that the shooting is being investigated as a federal hate crime and as an act of domestic terrorism.
“We are meticulously assessing the situation,” Agent Remily said. “We have deployed our Joint Terrorism Task Force, our Evidence Response Team, and our behavioral analysis unit. We will work tirelessly until we learn the truth — not just about what happened today, but about why, and whether anyone else was involved.”
Authorities have not ruled out the possibility that additional suspects may have assisted the two deceased shooters. Investigators are reviewing cell phone records, social media accounts, and internet search history. Early reports indicate that the 19-year-old suspect had accessed online forums promoting anti-Muslim violence in the weeks leading up to the attack.
Community Response and Reunification
As news of the shooting spread, hundreds of worried parents and family members rushed to a reunification center established by the city at 4125 Hathaway Street, approximately half a mile from the Islamic Center. The center was staffed by crisis counselors from the San Diego County Behavioral Health Services and volunteers from the local chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).
“I ran three red lights to get here,” said Aisha Mahmoud, whose 8-year-old daughter was in the classroom during the shooting. “I didn’t know if she was alive. When I saw her walk through that door, I collapsed. She kept saying, ‘Mama, why did the bad man want to hurt us?’ I don’t know how to answer that.”
The Islamic Center of San Diego released a statement on social media thanking first responders and asking for privacy for the families of the victims. “Our students and teachers are safe. Our security guard, Amin Abdullah, gave his life protecting our children. He is a martyr. He is a hero. We ask the San Diego community to wrap our families in love and support, not fear and anger.”
Political and Religious Leaders React
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria addressed the city from a podium outside the San Diego Police Headquarters, his voice shaking with emotion. “This is not who we are as San Diegans. An attack on one faith is an attack on all faiths. An attack on one house of worship is an attack on every house of worship.”
Mayor Gloria announced that the city would immediately deploy additional patrols to all mosques, synagogues, churches, and temples across San Diego. “No resource will be spared in making sure that our religious institutions are protected. We are increasing funding for the Nonprofit Security Grant Program by $500,000 effective immediately.”
California Governor Gavin Newsom released a statement calling the shooting “a cowardly act of hate” and offering the full support of the California Highway Patrol and the state’s Office of Emergency Services.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) announced a $25,000 reward for information leading to the identification of any additional suspects or conspirators. CAIR National Deputy Director Edward Ahmed Mitchell said, “Amin Abdullah died wearing a uniform that said ‘security.’ But his real uniform was his faith. He was protecting his community, and we will ensure his name is remembered.”
The Investigation Continues: Hate Crime or Terrorism?
Chief Wahl confirmed that the shooting is being investigated as a hate crime under California Penal Code 422.55, which defines a hate crime as a criminal act committed in whole or in part because of the victim’s actual or perceived race, religion, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.
“The evidence we have collected so far — including statements made by the suspects, the targeting of a mosque during Ramadan preparations, and online activity — supports a hate crime enhancement,” Wahl said. “We are also working with the FBI to determine whether federal terrorism charges would have applied had the suspects survived.”
Agent Remily added that the FBI is analyzing whether the suspects acted alone or were part of a larger network. “We have seized multiple electronic devices. We are looking at encrypted messaging apps, gaming platforms, and forums known to host extremist content. This investigation will be thorough, and it will be transparent.”
Road Closures and Public Safety
Multiple roads surrounding the Islamic Center of San Diego remained closed for several hours as investigators processed the extensive crime scene. Interstate 805 offramps at Balboa Avenue were temporarily shut down due to ongoing law enforcement activity, causing significant traffic delays during the evening commute.
The 7300 block of Salerno Street and the 2100 block of Hatton Street were also closed for ballistic evidence collection. Residents in those areas were asked to review home security footage and report anything suspicious to the San Diego Police Department’s tip line.
By 8 p.m. on May 18, all road closures had been lifted except for the immediate area surrounding the Islamic Center, which remains an active crime scene.
A Community Begins to Heal
On the evening following the shooting, hundreds of San Diego residents gathered for a candlelight vigil at Balboa Park, just two miles from the Islamic Center. Christians, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, and atheists stood shoulder to shoulder. They held signs reading “San Diego Stands with Our Muslim Neighbors,” “Amin Abdullah: Rest in Power,” and “Hate Will Not Win.”
Rabbi David Wolpe of the San Diego Jewish Academy offered a prayer in Hebrew and English. “The same hatred that struck the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, the same hatred that struck Mother Emanuel in Charleston — that hatred struck here today. But we answer hatred with love. We answer death with memory. We answer fear with community.”
Fatima Abdullah, the widow of Amin Abdullah, spoke briefly. “My husband used to say that the opposite of fear is not bravery. The opposite of fear is love. He loved this community. He loved this city. And because of that love, he was not afraid. Please, do not let his death be for nothing. Love each other. Protect each other. And do not let hate win.”
As of press time, the investigation into the deadly San Diego mosque shooting remains ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call the San Diego Police Department’s homicide unit at (619) 531-2293 or the FBI’s San Diego field office at (858) 320-1800.

Leave a Reply